Be wise with your golf clubmaking epoxy habits and save time and money

Hireko Golf Clubmaking Epoxy

Hireko Golf Clubmaking Epoxy Model #EP01

While your clubmaking operation may be in full gear at this time of the year, one thing you want to check on is your golf clubmaking epoxy.  Believe it or not, you are relying on its’ strength to form a long-lasting bond between any club you build or repair for your customers.  But when was the last time you checked how old it is and whether it is still effective?

Most clubmakers will assume that epoxy for golf clubmaking is good as long as there is some left in the bottles.  But that is not entirely true.  Many epoxies have shelf lives just like milk, bread or that spinach that is starting to wilt in your refrigerator.  After a year, they start to lose their strength.  After two years, I wouldn’t use it for anything golf club related.

Download Hireko Golf CatalogMark Your Bottles
No matter how organized your shop may be, I doubt you will know immediately when you last purchased it by looking through old invoices. When you receive a package with your epoxy, the first thing you should do is take your Sharpie pen and mark the date it arrived on the bottle or container and it will always be there in plain sight.  If you have the small one-job packets, don’t worry, these have an indefinite shelf life.

Individual Epoxy Packets

Individual Epoxy Packets Model #EPS-001

Buy in quantities you will consume
If you buy golf clubmaking epoxy in bulk (or in larger containers), you can save money per ounce or per club you build.  However, if it goes to waste by going past its effective date and you have to throw it out, you really haven’t saved money have you?  I guess you can still use it for small household fixes, but the point I am trying to make is buy enough to last you a full year.

By following these simple tips, you can rest assured that the clubs you assemble or repair for your customers (or yourself) is one less of life’s worries.

Model #EP01-001
Model #EP05-001
Model #EPS-001
Epoxy A+B 4oz Bottles
24 Hour Epoxy 1.0oz Tube
Individual Epoxy Packets
$8.95 each
$5.95 each
$1.50 each

Black Widow Tour Silk II Golf Grips

Tags: , , , ,

8 Comments on Save Time & Money – Epoxy Safety Tips for Clubmakers

1. Kelly says:

Why would individual packets last indefinitely, and epoxy in a “syringe” type container (a two side-by-side tubes with a plunger) have an expiry date?

I assume that the shelf life of epoxy is related to exposure to air. How does air get into the syringe type tubes? You don’t draw the plunger backward, so air is never drawn into the tube. The glue at the mouth of the tubes and the tight fitting cap would provide an airtight seal, wouldn’t it? The glue even a mm up in the tube or so would never be exposed to air. In fact, I would assume that there is some air in the packets, unless they are vacuum sealed. That would suggest that they have more exposure to air than the glue in the tubes would.

The only other factor would be time, and both would be equally susceptible to that. What am I missing?

Kelly,

There is a filler material added to the epoxy in the bubble packets to preserve the shelf life. There is no expiration date on the packaging, but when you receive it, mark the date you purchased it. The epoxy loses its strength gradually over time. It may be heat related or UV rays that degrade the epoxy.

3. Jeff:

I have just begun to re-shaft my Taylormade R-11 irons. I bought them on ebay with rifle precision 6.0 Flighted FMC shafts already installed. I am changing them out to 5.5 Flighted. I have removed the heads and cleaned them up. When I removed the heads, in some clubs, not all, a small cone shaped aluminum “plug” fell out. As I looked at it and cleaned it up it appears to me that its purpose is to assist (with slight aid from the ferrule)in centering the shaft in the hozel. The cone is pointed up so that when the hollow shaft is pressed down on top of it it will self center the shaft – I guess. But why would there be one of these devices in some clubs but not all?

That discovery has led me to various discussions of centering beads mixed into the epoxy to serve the same purpose. First, am I correct as to this devices purpose and second should I make sure there is one in every club? (If so, do you know where I can find some). Third, do you recommend the use of centering beads as an additive to the epoxy. Thank you,
    Wallace Hammond

Wallace,

The plugs you encountered were merely used for swingweighting. The only time to use shafting or centering beads in with the epoxy is if the shaft is slightly loose in the hosel to act as a filler.

5. Jeff:

That is interesting, thank you. One further question, when one of these “plugs” is inserted in the hozzel it prevents the shaft from seating into the hozzel as far as it would if the “plug” was not there. Across a full set of clubs will it matter that some shafts seat lower into the hozzels than others? It seems to me that it would be better to let all the shafts consistently seat as designed and use lead powder in the shaft or lead tape to adjust swing weight. Your thoughts? Thanks again,

Wallace

Wallace,

Likely they would have cut the butt end to length to compensate for heads that would have had a plug and ones that did not. The difference in the insertion would be the thickness of the “head” which would have a very minimal effect on the flex, but yes it would be best to eliminate any difference assuming one or more of the heads would not require any additional weighting. Most assembly lines will not use powered lead anymore and rely on tip pins. Lead tape on a brand new head or even one that had been re-shafted may not appeal to most golfers.

7. Mik Neville says:

When I first started to build clubs 15 years ago I was told to use beads when ever possible this was in one of Golfsmith club making course’s.I have never had any problems doing this in fact not only dose it center the shaft but also helps build a cusion on graphite shafts to take some of the stress.I have noticed that Hireko dose not offer the tube epoxy with beads all add I use these all the time and it would be nice to be able to order them with my orders be as I try to do most of my club work through Hireko.Thanks Mik

Mik,

I might suggest the EPCART we sell. This has a different viscosity than most of our other epoxies to absorb shock better.