Supplies Limited! Sale Ends November 1, 2012
Supplies Limited! Sale Ends November 1, 2012
I am a highly competitive person by nature and love competitions involving the US against anyone else. Now that the Olympics are long over, the Ryder Cup will satisfy that thirst. While the USA – European rivalry doesn’t quite have the intensity of a Yankees – Red Sox, Ohio State – Michigan or Republican – Democrat matchup, it was exciting the last time out.
I have many acquaintances on the other side of the pond, but I have to say to them – this time the Americans will win. Why? For starters the Europeans are on our soil where we tend to fare well and we are not feeling bogged down with all the butter and heavy cream. Second, we are united by a common flag, while the Europeans only a common currency. Lastly, we invented the game. Well that’s not true and one of the few sports we didn’t. But there might be a possibility they didn’t either as a game called Chuíwán was played in China centuries before the Dutch or Scots did.
For those of you who are really into golf, the Ryder Cup and need some new shafts, don’t forget about the Limited Edition Team USA or Team Europe Project X and Dynamic Gold Tour Issue shafts. This is the first time the Dynamic Gold Tour Issue shaft has been available to the general public. There are weight-sorted to an unbelievable +/- 0.5g tolerance, which is much tighter than even the weight-sorted Dynamic Gold you have come to know. These are tour level tolerances who want the utmost for their game. Note that these are taper tip only.
|Project X Steel Tapered Ryder Cup Edition – USA||#PXUSA||$34.99 each|
|Project X Steel Tapered Ryder Cup Edition – Europe||#PXEUR||$34.99 each|
Dynamic Gold Steel Tapered Ryder Cup Edition Shafts
Available in USA and Europe Limited Editions
S400 and X100 flexes. Taper tip, constant weight design, matched in +/- 0.5 gram sets (3-PW). Extra wedge shafts available.
|True Temper Dynamic Gold Steel Tapered Ryder Cup Edition – USA (#3-PW Set)||#DGUSA||$34.99 each individual/$279.92 set|
|True Temper Dynamic Gold Steel Tapered Ryder Cup Edition – Europe (#3-PW Set)||#DGEUR||$34.99 each individual/$279.92 set|
In addition, a portion of the proceeds will go toward helping our soldiers – Birdies for the Brave (PGA Tour charity) and Help for Heroes (UK).
So here is a quick little Ryder Cup quiz to take to get you geared up.
Ryder Cup Quiz
1. Who is the captain of the 2012 United States Ryder Cup Team?
2. Where will the 2012 Ryder Cup be held?
3. The Ryder Cup was first set up to match the United States team against a team from Great Britain and Ireland. What year did the latter expand to form a European team?
4. Who is credited for creating the concept of the Ryder Cup?
5. Before the Ryder Cup was officially named, there was the first informal match held in 1921 at Gleneagles Golf Club. Which country was is played in?
6. Who was the team captain for the United States team in the first Ryder Cup?
7. Which player has appeared in both the most matches and most Ryder Cup events?
8. Of the following four, name the one format that is not part of the Ryder Cup
9. Who was the youngest player to compete in a Ryder Cup?
10. Currently the Europeans team holds the cup after winning at Celtic Manor (Wales) in 2010. What is the minimum number of points the US team needs to regain the cup in 2012?
Below are the answers, but don’t cheat:
1. (C) Davis Love III, although congrats to Fred Couples for being inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame next year.
2. (C) Medinah Country Club
3. (B) 1979
4. (C) Sylvanus P. Jermain who was the president of Inverness Club in Toledo, Ohio is credited. Most people would think it was Samuel Ryder. Ryder is the one who commissioned the design of the gold chalice that bears his name. But there is some controversy amongst golfing historians. If you answered (D) James Harnett, you would also be correct as he was one that originally proposed the idea. If you answered Winona Ryder, well, you just might want to Google her to see why you got the wrong answer.
5. (B) Scotland which was won by the British team 9-3.
6. (D) Walter Hagen was named the captain (or co-captain) of the first nine US teams, although the 1939 and 1941 matches were not held because of World War II.
7. (D) Nick Faldo had 11 Ryder Cup appearances, 46 matches played and he also won a total of 26 points which is a record too.
8. (D) Three’s a crowd – matches are either played head-to-head or pairs of two players from one team verses two player’s from the opposite team. 1963 marked the first time four-ball was added.
9. (D) Sergio Garcia was 19 years, 8 months, 15 days. Horton Smith was the youngest American player at 21 years and 4 days old.
10. (B) To retain the Ryder Cup trophy, all the Europeans need to do is tie (or halve) the 28 possible points. But in order for the American team to take the trophy, they will need a minimum of 14.5 points.
0-3 correct You will probably be more interested in watching Here Comes Honey Boo Boo on TLC instead of the 2012 Ryder Cup
4-6 correct Don’t think about quitting your day job so you can loop it (caddie) for the players on tour or even the Dalai Lama
7-9 correct Great job! You know more than most on the subject except for only a select few
10 correct If you answered these all correctly, you are the resident expert
One question I often receive from customers is “How do I find out what length belly (or long) putter do I (or my customer) need?” To be honest, fitting for putter length over the phone is virtually impossible as a properly fitted putter doesn’t always correspond to a particular golfer’s height. There are other considerations such as the player’s posture, arm length, anchor point and hand position caused by the personal preference on whether they like their elbows out or arms straight.
VIEW THE NEW VIDEOBLOG FROM HIREKO GOLF’S TECHNICAL DIRECTOR JEFF SUMMITT DISCUSSING THE NEW APOLLO ADJUSTABLE PUTTER SHAFT. JUST CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW TO PLAY!
In a perfect world, you would like to have a putter that is easily adjustable so they can roll some putts and quickly find out what length is best suited to the player. Well, that day has finally come. We are entering an era of no longer guessing, but having the proper tools or equipment to find out exactly what you should have.
One such piece of equipment is the Apollo Adjustable Belly & Long Putter shaft. This retractable shaft adjusts in lengths between 38 and 52” perfect for belly and long putters. The shaft comes with a coupling devise that can be loosened and tightened with the wrench provided. Once epoxied to a putter head, simply loosen the coupling by twisting, slide the shaft up or down until the length is comfortable to the player, tighten the shaft and then you are ready to putt.
For professional club fitters, the Apollo Adjustable Belly & Long Putter shaft can make for an excellent fitting tool. Just make sure you follow the easy-to-understand instructions that come with the shaft on calibrating the length. Install one shaft into a belly putter head and a one-piece long belly putter grip of your choice. Place another shaft into a putter that is dedicated as a long putter, such as the Acer i-Sight Santa Cruz, with a split grip of your choice. Instantly you will be able to fit to the precise length your customer needs for either type of putter choice. Just make sure that either type of head is designed for a straight (not a curved) shaft. After which you can build them a custom made putter to that length or sell the putter as is.
While the adjustable shaft has not been deemed to conform to the Rules of Golf, it is sturdy enough that is can be used as an everyday putter shaft. For example, a golfer that plays a long putter and likes to travel, the shaft can be collapsed and stored safely in the bag or in the trunk of the car. If the player wants to find out themselves if a longer or shorter length might be better if they change their posture or stance – no problem. In less than a minute the shaft can be loosened, readjusted and tightened. Just make sure not to do that during a round of golf, but beforehand on the practice putting green.
There is no reason to doubt what length belly or long putter to use anymore. The Apollo Adjustable Belly & Long Putter shaft solves that problem and hopefully toward lowering you or your customer’s score.
APOLLO ADJUSTABLE BELLY & LONG PUTTER SHAFT ARRIVING MID-OCTOBER
|Apollo Adjustable Putter Shaft – Arriving Mid-October
In the past couple of months I have more than a few customers asking for of all things – a #2 iron. Why the all the sudden are people asking for what should be in the Smithsonian on display? Possibly because Tiger happens to use one – I don’t know. But each and every time someone asks I mention we haven’t made one of those in eons and we don’t have any in stock.
Behind the scenes at Hireko, we are working on a brand new website and one of the jobs I have is making sure everything is up on the site that we have available on our current one. To my surprise, I found a #2-iron for those of you who are interested or want to stash one away as a collector’s or novelty item as few even exist today. The picture may show a left-handed game-improvement cavity back model, but this is indeed a right-handed #2-iron.
So technically I never lied to those customers, since the Peerless line was a special buyout from our foundry and we still haven’t made a Hireko-branded #2-iron in a number of years. So take advantage of our misfortune of warehousing these fully functional relics from the past.
|Peerless SCI Iron – Clubhead||#I30721D||$3.30 each|
Check out this weeks new videoblog by Hireko Golf’s Technical Director Jeff Summitt. Jeff discusses the pros and cons to high lofted wedges. Just click on the image below to play!
Go Beyond The Conventional
New Colored Ferrules Available In A Rainbow Of Colors
Hireko now offers a wide assortment of colored ferrules. Choose between red, pink, royal blue, green, purple, orange, yellow and sky blue. Fits standard parallel tipped shafts. Pre-sized outer diameter (OD) for a better fit. Sold 12 per package.
Iron Ferrule – 13.6mm OD (fits stainless irons, wedge and hybrids)
Driver Ferrule – 12.6mm OD (fits titanium drivers)
Fairway Wood Ferrule – 12.2mm OD (fits stainless fairway woods)
|Red Ferrule (doz)||#FR1038||$4.65 ea.|
|Pink Ferrule (doz)||#FR1039||$4.65 ea.|
|Royal Blue Ferrule (doz)||#FR1040||$4.65 ea.|
|Green Ferrule (doz)||#FR1041||$4.65 ea.|
|Purple Ferrule (doz)||#FR1042||$4.65 ea.|
|Orange Ferrule (doz)||#FR1043||$4.65 ea.|
|Yellow Ferrule (doz)||#FR1044||$4.65 ea.|
|Sky Blue Ferrule (doz)||#FR1045||$4.65 ea.|
Hireko Golf’s Technical Director Jeff Summitt discusses the three basic parameters to look for in steel shafts. Click on the image below to view!