What To Do With All Those Spare #3-Irons?

I’ll be honest, I can’t remember the last time I carried a #3-iron in my bag even though just about every set we make includes one.  I’ll make confession #2, I am a pack rat.  I have sample heads from each set we have developed over the years squirreled away in boxes.  Even the used ones often get dismantled from the shaft, cleaned up and stored away.  So this leaved me with a whole bunch of shiny #3-irons just itching to find a good use for once and for all.

It finally dawned on me Father’s Day was around the corner (hey, the US Open was on). My Dad loves working on projects in his workshop and what better way to celebrate Father’s Day weekend by spending some quality time with him?  So I gathered up some items to take with me.  I had an old stained piece of oak baseboard when my house was built over a dozen years ago (I told you I was a pack rat).  I gathered up several old steel shaft tip pieces that were lying by my chop saw that I hadn’t gotten around to cleaning up yet.  3/8” wood doweling would have worked, but this saved a few items from going to the local landfill. Lastly I found some old ferrules along with epoxy and a collection of #3-irons.

Have you guessed what we were going to make? That’s right, a coatrack or maybe it will be a tie rack, umbrella rack or rack of some type of rack. I’ll figure that later.  If you are looking to do something with those odds and ends irons, spend some time with your Dad, or son, uncle, nephew or maybe the kid next-door who mows your lawn, be creative and make a quick and simple project such as this.

I started out but cutting the shaft pieces so there were long enough to insert fully into the hosel, accommodate the length of the ferrule and be 0.1” thinner than the board. The shaft tips were abraded and epoxied along with the ferrule. They were allowed to dry and remember no good clubmaker could forget to turn down the ferrules! Next, we simply measured our board and marked and center punched where we needed to drill our holes. Once drilled, the shaft stubs were epoxied into the holes and the faces aligned.

Here is the final result.  Total cost of project – Zero. Spending time with Dad – Priceless!

2 comments

  1. eric despirlet says:

    Very creative,Ratpack but,what did you do with your”creation”?Put it on the coffee table or hang it up in your shop?
    By the way,Jeff,after 30 years+ of clubmaking,I have accumulated a large amount of irons heads-mostly demos-and I intended do give them away to a steelscrap dealer, if unsaleable!Any other idea?

  2. Bob Barclay says:

    Eric

    Maybe list at least the ones in good condition or all since someone maybe looking to replace a lost club. Sometimes closeout clubs are so tempting to buy you have gaps from the start. A used matching club is better than trying to find a look a like or fill in with a hybrid unless its a the higher or lower end rather than somewhere in the middle. I have a few sets like that myself maybe you have the missing link.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>