The other day I needed to shorten a fairway wood by 1/2”. While I was at it I was going to change to a different style of grip. So I placed the club in the vise, cut the grip with the hooked blade, peeled off the grip and then stripped off the tape so I had a clean surface for the grip tape. Pretty standard procedure. Next, I applied a new layer of grip tape and then installed the new grip and set it aside to let it dry.

After a while, it dawned on me. DOH! In my haste, I had forgot the most important part – that was cutting the length off of the butt end. What a bonehead move on my part. By the time I realized it the solvent had evaporated and I could not budge the grip loose. I didn’t have at my immediate disposal a grip shooter or anything else to remove the grip with. Plus, the cost of the grip was minimal and not worth all the hassle. I ended up wasting a perfectly good grip only because I had a spare.

I rectified my problem and now have a shortened fairway wood with a shiny new grip. But I wanted to show budding clubmakers it can even happen to professionals from time to time as we all make mistakes. After all, we are human. It wasn’t my first mistake, nor I am sure will be my last. At least it wasn’t a customer’s club that they had to drive a long way to pick it up with the high cost of gas today or was shipped to a customer that required the customer to ship it back.

Go ahead and share your clubmaking mistake stories with your fellow clubmakers.

IMPROVE YOUR CLUBMAKING SKILLS WITH THE NEW 6TH EDITION “MODERN GUIDE TO CLUBMAKING”!

Modern Guide to Clubmaking 6th Edition #MCB6 $29.95 each

6 Comments on To Err is Human

1. golfmarshal2000 says:

the next time you are pulling a grip why don’t you invest in a air tool that installs & removes grips, I’ve used one for a couple of years I don’t use grip tape anymore it is quick & easy to use, & you can use the grip right away

2. matt says:

So i started on a set as a gift for my sister-in-law who wanted to take up the game. I had a bunch of old clubs and components lying around that i thought might make a good starter set, so i fired up the fan in my garage (it was 109 degrees that day), popped the cap off a bottle of beer, and got to work. I started, as I have come to do, with the shortest clubs, working my way up to driver.

Well, by the time i got to the driver the sun was going down, and my garage, not being the best lit room in the house, was getting a little dark. I also was working on my second or third beer by that point (which now I cannnot recommend while clubmaking.)

The next day, after allowing the epoxy to set overnight, I started to put the headcover on the driver when i saw that a big glob of epoxy fell on the head and dried. I hadn’t noticed in the dark, especially since both the clubhead and the epoxy were black. And I couldn’t get it off.

I also noticed that the ferrule looked quite misshapen, which I hadn’t seen before because it is black, too, and it was getting dark. I think the beer had more to do with the over-turning than the dark did, however!

She didn’t mind, and probably wouldn’t even have noticed if I hadn’t said anything. She’s quite happy with them anyway, and as a beginner is hitting the driver pretty well!

3. Carl Ricci says:

If you use an air compressor and needle nose trigger type air flow gun you can blow the grip off the shaft and not rune it, it works great with grips that haven’t been in place for a long period of time. I also use this method to put grips on it allows me to slid the grip on without a whole bunch of solvent.

4. Never Tip-trim Taper-Tips says:

How about when I tip-trimmed a set of graphite iron shafts by 1/2″ (By the way, I had to use a rasp and lots of sandpaper to make them fit again)–Only problem was, they were .355 Taper Tip shafts–The result, I’m pretty sure that after a few rounds the shafts started to come apart inside the heads–Whoops–Good thing it was only a set of used shafts, but this experiment was a fail! But you know what does work in case you run out of shafting epoxy? Polyurethane construction adhesive. It really holds up well, and costs the same (if not a little less) than the epoxy.

5. Joe Rogers says:

I sometimes remove a grip by blowing compressed air into the end of the grip and shaft. This expands the grip,which loosens it and you are able to remove it to use it again. You have to be careful not to explode the grip. I sometimes have to use a small glue syringe and inject some mineral spirits between the grip and shaft. Then by twisting the grip it eventualy will come off.

6. Al says:

Hi Jeff, the worst clubmaking mistake I made was when I first started out in 1990. I’d only just done the school at Diamond Golf the week before. I had an iron with a snapped at the hosel shaft, I duly applied heat to the hosel with a blow torch not realising the head was aluminium until it started dripping on the floor!!!!Very fortunate to have an understanding customer…