Introducing the Acer Superleggera Shaft

Ever since the Acer XF Leggera became available to the public and we got an immediate indication it was going to be a huge seller.  That’s when we began working on an affordable, super lightweight shaft that could be matched with it.  The name is a mouthful, but states exactly what the shaft is.  Leggera translated from Italian to English means “light” so we are talking about a shaft in the super lightweight category (50g) and the kicker is this shaft will be in the sub-$20 category.

You might be skeptical that a shaft this inexpensive will be any good, but remember house brand shafts can’t demand anywhere near the retail prices as the branded shafts because there is no advertising budget to justify it.  Secondly, you cannot make a shaft this light without using higher modulus or specialized materials in order to achieve the strength and durability so you are getting a quality product.

The Acer Superleggera Shaft is available in four flexes (L, A, R and S) and the colors were picked to match the Acer Leggera driver head. But the neutral black/pearl white/black color scheme could be used for any driver. The raw length is 45” long and the beauty of this length is that it may not require any trimming at all to achieve a super light (270g) / super long (47”) driver for maximum speed and distance.

Here is a matrix to show you approximately what the swingweight and overall weight will be at various lengths using standard weight and Winn Lite grips as well as standard weight (200g) and the Acer Leggera (190g) driver heads. Please note that Hireko’s recommended length for the Acer XF Leggera driver is 46” with a mid 60g shaft and with a standard weight head (200g) is 45” allowing shafts this light to be assembled as much as 1” longer than standard and maintain normal swingweights.

The DSFI ranges are as follows:

L-flex 71-82
A-flex 79-91
R-flex 85-98
S-flex 90-104

The Acer Superleggera is mid launching shaft with a stable tip section.  It joins the growing number of products in the ultra lightweight category that Hireko carries from the likes of Aldila,  Apollo, Grafalloy, Graphite Design, SK Fiber and UST.  If your goal is more speed and distance, the Acer Superleggera is yet another option to choose from.

Acer Super Leggera ShaftAvailable Wood A, L, R, S $19.95 each

1. Justin says:

Too bad this info isn’t more readily available… it seems the Web is filled with people who think that shafts only work when you pay the price. They also seem to think the shaft is the most important factor in the club’s performance, but that’s another story, I guess…

2. mikehammans says:

brand name clubs will have a shaft in them that sells for close to $300,yet that driver sells for $299,that is because logo on that shaft is not that shaft!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Dr. J says:

Any inexpensive shaft can be made to perform like the expensive ones by FLO-ing them, using (flat line occilation). def. determining the spine and neutral bend points (NBP) in the shafts’ composition. Find a good club maker and you’ll find this process as part of his bag of tricks. Dr. J

4. Steve says:

Need to know what your talking about before putting mouth into gear…..Shaft is the most important part of a golf club, and shafts in the new clubs are not $300 shafts, they are for the most part $40 to $60 shafts, and yes, they are what they say…A Grafalloy Blue is a Grafalloy Blue, a Y6 is a Y6, made for the company making the driver…Callaway, Cobra, Cleveland, Taylor…
    How do I know, because I have been building and repairing clubs for 25 years, that’s how………..

5. Bruce Gerhold says:

When can customers anticipate Jeff Summitt’s shaft fitting specs? I find these very very useful.

6. ctjoe says:

Sure, you can make these drivers 46″ – 47″ but how consistent are you going to be with them as far as center hits are concerned and keeping the ball in he fairway?

7. James says:

Steve, what Justin was saying is that when you buy a driver that has an expensive “stock” shaft in it, say a Matrix Ozik Xcon 6, that shaft is not made with the same specs as an aftermarket Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 that you would buy for $300. The OEM brands (Callaway, Ping, TM, etc) simply buy the rights to put a particular name and model on the shaft, and then they have it made to “watered down” specs to keep the costs down. They’ll use lower quality graphite or less plys of graphite, so it’s not the same as the real thing. If you’ve been building & repairing clubs for 25 years then you should know this, because it’s very common knowledge in the industry.

Anyways, about the topic on hand – the Acer Superlegerra – I’m really looking forward to this shaft! It’s nice to see an ultralight sub-50g shaft that isn’t a soft-tip high-launching noodle.

Bruce:

The DSFI ranges are as follows:

L-flex 71-82
    A-flex 79-91
    R-flex 85-98
    S-flex 90-104

ctjoe:

We want to offer a little something for everyone. For the people who hit the ball relatively straight and need extra distance through something lighter and longer, the 46-47″ driver with shafts this light will help. In the opposite situation where accuracy is at a premium, we offer the Acer XF Thriver that is designed to be 44″ and you can choose the shaft weight of choice. Remember no one single club or concept is going to fit all golfers.

10. Jack says:

Steve,
    Please read James’s reponse about the shafts again and again. He is absolute right and surely with 25 years of club repairing you should know this. A after market Fujikura shaft made in Japan is light years ahead of a Fujikura in a OEM club. You can’t learn everything about shafts with 25 years of experience. I have 40 years of experience, PGA certified repairman and I learn something new just about every week. It is different now than when I started. Mouth in gear was not a good choice of words for Justin and Dr. J is also right. I spine and flo all shafts I install.

11. Bill Milow says:

I would order one of these shafts to try but would need to know the Torque rating first off. If is a mid launching shaft with a firm tip as you state above, then I would guess that it is in the 3.5 to 4.0 torque range depending upon the flex selected. The torque also would change with the flex selected is that not correct? Please advise at your convenience. Thanks much. Bill Milow.

Bill:

The torque for the men’s flexes are 6 degrees, but don’t let that fool you. Shafts this light generally are higher in torque, but realize most manufacturers all measure these differently. The fiber alignment was done to control the tip stiffness rather than reduce torque. If we want to do both, then more specialized fibers would have been required and all of the sudden the shaft become exponentially more expensive.

13. Al says:

How is this shaft going to compare with the “death stick” which has gotten mixed reviews but looks similiar in specs.
    Thanks

Al:

The Death Stick is a little heavier and lower torque. Remember, no shaft is going to fit every golfer.

15. Al says:

Thanks Jeff. I am a big fan of Hireko. I’m a 10 handicap but have no clue about how to choose a shaft. I read and read but there is not enough time in the day having 3 small children, I want to replace my G10 driver head with premium acer or true ace shaft. I am using thestock ping tfc29 d stiff shaft. I drive about 270 yards wipth. Med to fast tempo. Mid to high trajectory which I like. Any suggestions

Al:

With a medium to fast tempo and hitting the ball as far as you do, I would look at the True Ace Blue Crush. You will need this ferrule: http://www.hirekogolf.com/hireko/orderportal/catalog_presentation/by_group/0/2200/0/0/0/0/0

17. Paul says:

I am a 15 handicap, swing speed 95 mph (can get it higher if I really go at it), average tempo. I play a 2008 Cobra LD-F driver with stock shaft (R-flex, around 65 grams with 5.1 degrees to torque). I hit the Cobra very well and can work the ball in either direction with it. However, I am considering ordering an assembled Leggera driver from Hireko and I’m not sure which shaft to have installed. I was considering the True Ace Death Stick or the Apollo Acculite 50 before Hireko offered the Acer Super Leggera. How does this shaft compare to the Death Stick or Acculite 50?
    Thanks!

Paul:

The Death Stick is a slightly heavier weight shaft (still very light) with much lower torque. The Acculite 50 is the same weight as the Superleggera with slightly less torque than the Superleggera, plus it is filament wound so it should be very consistent from shaft to shaft and around the 360 degree circumference of the shaft. All 3 in R flex should be firmer than your current shaft. The main difference will be the length (longer)and overall weight (lighter) compared to what you have.

19. Paul says:

Thanks, Jeff very helpful. One more question is the DFSI range on the Acculite 50 comparable to the Superleggera? With a swing speed averaging 95 mph I am sometimes on the “cusp” of R vs. S flex and I never know which direction to go.

Paul:

It will depend upon your tempo. If you possess a very long, fluid swing, you should be able to use the R-flex. But it is more moderate to a faster tempo, then the S-flex will provide much needed control.

21. Mark Ramsey says:

I currently play the XF Leggera 9.5 with the UST Mamiya lite flex MP5 shaft at 46″.Swing speed is 87.I tend to hit this club rather high.How would the Supperleggera shaft compare? Would it play at a lower Trajectory? Thanx MARKO

Mark:

The Acer Superleggera shaft will have a stiffer tip section than the UST MP5 which for some golfers translates into a lower trajectory.

23. Harry Tanaka says:

the torque on the superleggera is really high. Won’t this cause more twisting when swinging the driver????

Harry:

Not really. The added torque for most players will help in the feel category as well as help square the face at impact. Shafts this light generally have more torque as there is less material devoted to reducing the torsion but rather longitudinal fibers to create added tip stiffness and control.

25. Harry Tanaka says:

How is it that the Super Leggera torque is a big number??? Is’nt a high torque means more twisting on contact??

Harry:

The ball is only on the face for a fraction of second. The ball direction has already been dictated by the face angle upon impact as well as the player’s swing path. Here is some additional information.

27. Moe Selchen says:

I am interested in the Acer XF Leggera driver with the Superleggera shaft. I generally hit very straight drives with good distance. My driver swingspeed is 95. I am 65 years old and have begun to use a regular shaft. I notice that the recommended length for the driver is 46″ but some suggest a 47″ length with this combination is better. I would appreciate knowing the advantages and disadvantages of both lengths. Thanks!

Moe:

The Leggera head with a 65g shaft and 50g grip at 46″ yields a normal swingweight. With lighter shafts, the swingweight reduces allowing to make the club even longer for added leverage. With the Leggera / Superleggera combo, 47″ balances out pretty well. If you only make this combo 46″ then the swingweight reduces which increases the stiffness of the shaft.

29. Moe Selchen says:

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I fear you are awakening too early.
    As a followup, what weight grip are you recommending with the Leggera combo at 47″?
    Also, I am wondering how a Caiman driver with a Velocity or Adrenaline shaft (? re which weight is best) would compare to the Leggera combo?
    And finally, I presently use a Tour Edge Exotic CB4 driver with an Aldila RIP 60 Sigma 45.5″ regular shaft with a D2 swingweight. How would this compare to the 47″ Leggera combo and to the Caiman? Thanks again for your very helpful input!!!

Moe:

To a certain degree it is independent of the weight of the grip. It only affects swingweight, but not flex. 50g just happens to be standard weight as a reference point. If you want an overall lighter driver without feeling too light (overall), then you could opt for one of the 25g Winn Lite grips).

The Velocity and Adrenaline driver shafts are one in the same with different cosmetics. These are heavier shafts than the Superlegerra. They are both basic shafts and use no higher modulus materials compared to the Superleggera or RIP Sigma.