Belly Putter History or an Asterisk

I have seen several mentions that history was broken equipment wise this past week.  Not to take anything away from Keegan Bradley’s win at the 2011 PGA Championship, but he wasn’t the first to win a major with a belly putter.  That accomplishment goes to Angel Cabrera at the 2009 Masters, or does it?  Cabrera used a belly putter but held it with two hands on the end like a convention putter.  So is a belly putter only a belly putter if it is anchored to the belly and the hands are held lower on the grip?  That is for historians to argue about.

Still, no one has won a major with a long putter.  However, in the same week as Bradley’s well-deserved win, the winner of the LPGA Future Tour Eagle Classic won with a long putter.  To my surprise it was an older Dynacraft model (DT-50) that many of you might remember.

If you or one of your customers are looking to make a belly putter and need a good clubhead choice from the Hireko line up, take a look at the Acer CB7.  This center-shafted model takes a straight shaft has an adequate weight for a belly putter.

Acer CB7 Putter – Custom Assembled Starting at $34.95 each
Karma Belly Putter Grip $5.99 each

1. Bruce Gerhold says:

How about a 90 degree center shafted putter head in the Bionik line – like a 501, 502, 503 ? Then builders could use the adapters to assemble either a long putter (79 degrees lie) or a belly putter (72 degrees lie).

2. paul colllins says:

agree – there are very few options around for building broom handle putters ( over 43″ ) in particular

Bruce:

That could already be in the works. However the problem you get into is the head weight for a long putter is much heavier (or should be) compared to a belly model.

4. David Murdoch says:

I think all putters with a shaft longer than 36 inches should be banned because it is not in the spirit of the game to anchor a club to yourbelly or chin to assist in playing a shot. The old champions would turn over in their graves if they could see some of the putters nowadays. They make very average putters ie Adam Scott seem like champions (which he is not).

5. D Hood says:

I use a long putter and no part of that putter is anchored or even touches my body. I have used it for the better part of 20 years. If it truly were the holy grail of putting and made putting easy I guess every tour pro would use one. Don’t fool yourself into thinking they wouldn’t, if it were a big advantage they would use one. The only guy I can think that should use one and would probably be ahead of Tiger in the majors race is Mickleson. If he could sink the 5 footer that mattered in his career it would be a different story.

6. BYRON says:

I DON’T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY EVEN MAKE PUTTER HEADS WITH A LIE ANGLE OF 70-72 DEGREES, AND A 35″ SHAFT. I HAVEN’T MET ANYONE WHO COULD PUTT WITH THEM. IF YOU WANT YOUR EYES OVER THE STARTING LINE YOU SHOULD HAVE PUTTER BETWEEN 75-81 DEGREES, AND HAVE THE SHAFT CUT TO FIT YOUR HEIGHT. I HAVE CHANGED MORE PEOPLES PUTTING FOR THE BETTER USING THIS. THE PROBLEM IS THEY DON’T MAKE ENOUGH HEADS AT 75-81 DEGREES.

7. Steve says:

Sorry David, if they were that great all the pros would be using them. When it comes to money everyone gets greedy. You still have to put it in the hole