Acer XK Fairway Woods Custom Assembled $49.95

Have you hit your 7-wood lately?

I speak to a lot of customers on a daily basis, most of which are looking on advice on what clubs they should use.  If you fit customers, you should follow my example by listening carefully to what your customer needs because each golfer has certain preferences or like or dislikes based on hitting certain clubs in the past.  Therefore I don’t every like to generalize when it comes to fitting and why it is so important that each golfer select the correct set make up based on their strengths.

One of the most common complaints I hear from customers is, “I can’t hit my longer irons (like a 3 and/or 4-iron).”  Hey, join the crowd!  The first thing you think to ask is whether or not that had tried any of the new hybrids on the market and follow up by asking which ones as well.  When they tell me they have tried these new-fangled hybrids and they do hit them better than the iron, then I revert to an option of the past.

Ask them this next question, “Do you hit your 5-wood well?”  If they say yes, which is often the case, now is the time to revisit the 7-wood.  Oh, the lowly #7-wood. Remember what that was?  You must not, because based on sales over the past several years the #7-wood has gradually sold less and less as manufactures and the media have tempted you with the hybrid as an answer to your problems.

Long before there were hybrids, there were high lofted fairway woods.  The #7-wood became a good replacement for a 3-iron.  The large head and higher loft made this an easy club to hit high and straight.  The length is not unlike many #3 hybrids on the market which is manageable to provide solidness of contact and confidence at address.

For many men out there, don’t let your ego get in the way of putting a club in your bag that can increase your chances of improving your score.  No matter how much ribbing you may get from your playing partners, the #7-wood is perfectly legal and a viable alternative to a #3-irons and /or hybrid.  At Hireko, we have a wide range to choose from. The #9-wood (yes, they make those too) like the Acer XK and the Synchron II make a good alternative to a #4-iron and/or hybrid.

I had foregone the #3-iron many years ago and like many fellow golfers have dabbled with various hybrids to ensure I had a club in my bag for a specific distance.  But over all these years I can say that the 7-wood has been a staple in my arsenal and usually that one “go-to” club I could rely on regardless of which model I have used.  That is why I have said many times over that I haven’t met a 7-wood I didn’t like.

Acer XK Fairway Woods Component Clubhead $19.95 each

Acer XK Fairway Woods Custom Assembled $49.95 each

Synchron II Fairway Woods Component Clubhead $14.95 each

Sychron II Fairway Woods Custom Assembled $44.95 each

11 Comments on I Never Met a 7-Wood I Didn’t Like

1. Sam F says:

I have built lots of hybrids for clients. I have built and tried every hybrid in the Hireko Cataloge for myself and can’t hit any of them. I have both Mantara and Synchron II woods 3, 5, and 7. Hit em all well! Love that 7 wood. Tiger said recently he would add a 7 when he got to be over 40.

2. Jeff, isn’t it time to identify clubs (especially woods) by their loft rather than their number? When you talk about a 7-wood, do you mean 22* or 27* loft? That’s a big difference, and I have both in my basement.

Dave:

If someone is in the market for a new 7-wood, for the most part they will be looking at a 21 or 22º loft if there is a #7 engraved on the sole. There will be some exceptions, for example the Synchron II which is over 10 years old or designs for women that may be in the 23-26º range, but looking for the loft specification is important so you don’t buy another fairway wood with the same loft as you already might have.

4. William Tipton says:

Great!
    Ive been looking all over for 7 and 9 woods. Very hard to find anymore.
    I just bought a used Synchron 9 wood. Very happy to see that I could find others on the main website.
    I just ordered the 7, 11, 13 and 15 woods to go with my 9.
    I love my irons and hit them well, but I always love the old 7 wood I had. It was really hard to hit a bad shot with it.

Im not a great golfer and never intend to be so these woods dont make me feel in the least embarrassed.
    We played a game yesterday and off the tee I hit the Synchron 9 wood about 180 yards out dead middle of the fair way. I can live with that seeing that Ive only been really playing for about 7 weeks at this point.

5. William Tipton says:

“I can live with that seeing that Ive only been really playing for about 7 weeks at this point.”

Let me add that what I mean is that when I played 15 years ago I was being taught by a guy who had NO clue how to swing a golf club. I dont even count that period now because Im having to deprogram from all the bad habits he ‘taught’ me.

6. KRoll says:

My buddy lost is seven wood in some really tall grass over at the old Fairfax National Golf Club several years ago. He went searching for it in the golf cart and all we saw was the top of his head. Can you recommend a replacement which goes a long way but not when you throw it.

KRoll:

Distance with a 7-wood is going to be more loft related with a stronger loft creating greater distance. The Acer XF and Power Play Adrenaline are both 21º loft. The difference is the Adrenaline has a shallower face which might make it easier to get up off of tighter lies.

8. 5 Fingers says:

I was there when Kroll’s “buddy” lost his seven wood at Fairfax National. He then proceeded to use one from the 8th grade picnic the following week!

Remember, if you hit, it’ll go a long way!

9. bigk says:

Yes, I threw the 7-wood ( I liked it ) and have missed it ever since since. What do you think is a good 7 wood to replace the $12 raw-lings 7-wood

bigk:

If the Rawlings 7 wood you had before was low profile, I might look at the Power Play Adrenaline. Depending on how old it was, it would likely have a heavier shaft like an Apollo Shadow or Aldila VX.

11. 5 Fingers says:

bigk:

Fire your old coach and I’ll coach you up! Then, avoid all two-stroke penaties!

Remember, if you hit it, it’ll go a long way!