Introducing the New Project X Graphite Shaft

projectXThe Tour’s Secret Weapon Revealed!

In this economy it is hard to fathom that someone is willing to spend a whole lot of money on a golf shaft unless that person is Warren Buffett. But you might be surprised how many core golfers don’t quibble about price when it comes to their equipment.  The newest premium graphite shaft unveiled is the Project X, which on the very day it became available for consumers worldwide, was used by the winner of the Volvo World Match Play Championship at Finca Cortesin GC in Spain.

Who Manufacturer’s the Project X shaft?

Wondering, who makes Project X shafts?  Well, you might have heard that name in steel, but not graphite.  The Project X graphite shaft series is manufactured by none other than True Temper, the world’s number one producer of shafts in the world who use the PGA tour players as their guinea pigs in product development.  True Temper also owns the Grafalloy brand that you might be more familiar with.  But the Project X is positioned as True Temper’s premium line in both steel and graphite and designed for those who will spare no expense in their game.

Gettin’ Techy

I was fortunate to have Tour-like status to test first-hand the new Project X driver before they became available to the public.  You see I get to wear multiple hats.  One is the tech or geeky side that wants to know everything about the product.  From Zonal Design Theory to specifically target and design the tip, mid and butt sections with specialized layers of ultra-high modulus material to cross-sectional stability, a spin reducing tip section, each flex of the Project X is a completely different animal.

This was evident from my preliminary testing of the shafts, that each flex had a totally different set of specification for weight, frequency, torque, tip and butt stiffness rather than just different frequencies of the same shaft profile.  For those fellow techies who analyze all the numbers like frequency, torque, etc., I have one word for you – DON’T!

Quality Range Time

My other hat I wear is the avid golfer – just like you. I headed out to the range with the 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0 flex versions of the driver shafts in the Dynacraft Prophet ICT driver head I have sported all year. Anything more than that would be too stiff for my 100 mph swing speed as I would later find out.  The 5.0 would be a middle of the road R-flex, while the 5.5 would be considered a firm R-flex.  The 6.0 was a soft to standard S-flex in their system.

Believe me I have tried all sorts of shaft and head combos that my game is predicated on my swing – not my equipment.  So I have a pretty good grasp of what type of specifications I can use based on a database of information. The Project X driver shafts might have challenged some of my theories.  The 6.0 model was in similar to specs to what I had been using at least on paper.  The performance was more than adequate and should have been for a premium shaft, but it felt surprisingly firmer.  My only explanation as to why, is most likely the premium materials used in the construction of these shafts.

It was the softer 5.0 flex that I preferred both from a feel and a ball flight standpoint.  There is something about these high end shafts that is hard to put a finger on. The mid 50g weight and very low frequency (238 cpm) would normally be a recipe for inconsistency, but what occurred was just the opposite.  As a matter of fact, all three flexes I tested produced excellent results.  But of special note was the repeated consistency in the ball direction and landing pattern. I didn’t see as many fliers or balls that might have curved as far one way or another as I would normally.

The Real Advantage

This is the reason why the best players in the world want these ultra-premium shafts – consistency.  We all know what consistency breeds and that is confidence.  Heck, they don’t know what they cost anyway since they get them for free.  All they are concerned with is they just want something that will help them perform at their highest level.

For those who have relied on the Project X steel shafts already know how dedicated the True Temper engineers at giving you the tools to perform at your highest level. If you are serious about your game and you won’t settle for anything less, take a look at the new Project X series of graphite shafts.

project_x_graph

Project X Hybrid Graphite Shaft $150 each
These shafts are available only through special order

Project X Wood Graphite Shaft $275 each
These shafts are available only through special order

1. Christopher says:

Just curious, what flex would you use in PX flighted irons? I currently use PX 5.5 flighted and am not sure if I should order the 5.0 or 5.5 flex for my driver. I’m planning on trimming it to 43.5″. No one seems to have demos of these :(

Christopher:

I would use the 5.0 if you are going to make this a short driver and a lower than normal swingweight. However, if you are going to increase the head weight to offset the shorter length, then you would be better off getting the 5.5.

3. Foz says:

Can you explain the difference between the Project X 5.0 graphite (blue) shaft and the Project X 5.0 graphite (Grey) shaft with the Callaway Logo on it?

Also, I am using the 4.5 in my irons, but the 5.0 in my driver….why do they feel the same?

Foz:

I am not positive if the shaft in the Callaway is the exact same as the new Project X Black or a variation of it. If it is the same, the difference is the Black is slightly lighter and has a firmer tip section than the original blue version to hit the ball a little lower.

The wood shafts have low frequencies (for their flex designation) thus might explain why you can use the 4.5 in the irons and 5.0 in the woods. However, the difference between a 4.5 and 5.0 is only 1/2 a flex.

5. Jason says:

I have a 46″ project x blue 5.0 that is playing just a bit soft for me, and I’d like to cut the length down to 45″ as well. From where should I take the length in order to achieve something closer to a 5.5? 1″ from the tip? 1″ from the butt? 1/2″ from each?

Jason:

If the playing length is 46″, then I would first choke or grip down 1″ to simulate butt trimming. By having a lighter swingweight may be all the difference you need. If not, then you will need to take probably closer to 3/4″ off of the tip to increase the frequency by 5 cpm (5.0 to 5.5 FCM level).

7. shearer says:

always hated project x always felt too stiff for me as i tried reg and mainly stiff shafts – couldnt control it..i got a 105 mph smooth swing with the driver…one day i was messing about at the local range and tried a ftiz tour imix with a project x senior flex (4.5) man thats the best combo i ever had….i know i shouldnt be playing an a-flex but i can put this thing anywhere i want….im now loving project x and is considering putting one in my fairway wood….

8. L.D. says:

I just purchased a new set of Mizuno mp64 irons and fitted with standard length,lie,loft. The shaft is an A graphite GPRO X 4.5. The swing weight on the spec sheet says BEST. Don’t know what that means. I do know these irons feel stiff compared to my previous regular shafts in my old Taylor Made irons. I carry a single digit handicap and am 73 years old. Is my new project X shaft that much stiffer than the regular shaft in Taylor Made? Thanks.

L.D.,

There is no Project X graphite iron shaft commercially available in the aftermarket, so I have not been able to get my hands on to measure it to see just how stiff or flexible they are compared to other shafts I have tested. But it very well could be stiffer as there is no standardization for flex. If your TaylorMade irons had 85g steel shafts installed, then that might explain why they felt more flexible as shaft weight in steel shafts is directly related to flex. This is not always the same case with graphite shaft.

10. dennis bristow says:

i have just purchase a set of mizuno jpx 800,they have project x 5.0 graphite shafts i have not seen these shafts in many sets of irons ,just woods. are these good shafts.ps these clubs are used 1year old.

Dennis,

They may be a special make up for Mizuno or product that never made it to the aftermarket. Mizuno makes high quality products, but are they the level of quality materials and construction as the woods is an unknown.

12. Dave Kempner says:

Looking at Mizuno MP-59 irons and thinking about going with graphite shafts for the first time (something different, a lot of tendonitis problems lately, felt very good when I demo-ed them). I am 65, but still carry a 2 handicap. Driver speed is at or just under 100, 6-iron speed was 79 when I demo-ed the Mizuno irons. In the past, I have had good success with Project X 6.0 shafts in both a driver and some hybrids, and since high school have always had irons with stiff shafts. Always feel like I am going to hook regular shafts especially if I swing hard. Should I get Project X 6.0 in the irons, or consider Project X 5.5? The fitter seemed to be pushing me in that direction, but I don’t want to make a mistake given the investment involved?

Dave:

If you are being fit in person, use their demo irons / shafts in the fitting kiosk and watch ball flight outdoors as well as evaluate feel, That will tell you which direction to go.

14. Al Santoro says:

Hi Jeff, I have a Ping i20 8.5 driver in stiff flex that has been very good for me. Even though my driver swing speed tops out at 94, on the computer my trajectory and spin was optimized. I also have a Ping i20 3 wood (14 degrees). I originally had the TFC stiff shaft in it, but had no consistency. I switched to the Project x 6.0, and I tend to have more of a slice result unless I choke down on it. Do you think I would benefit from going to the 5.5 or 5.0 Project X to help cut down on the slice. I am a 6.6 handicap and normally hit the ball straight or with a draw, so this club has me stumped. Thanks for your help (I ordered the counterweights to try that as well)..

Al,

Try the counterweight first and see if that doesn’t straighten out the ball flight. As far as dropping down in flex, there is no answer to that. Some golfers may slice even more and for others the softer flex and tip section will help close the face. If all else fails, cut the club down since choking down results into a straighter shot.

16. Al Santoro says:

Jeff, I checked the swing weight first…The 3wd was D1.. I cut off 1/2 inch and put 20 gm counterweight. Swing weight went to C7 or so. THe main point…I hit this club better than ever!!! I tried putting the 20 gm weight in my Ping i20 driver 45″ D3. I’m usually very straight with the driver. The extra weight –I couldn’t hit two shots the same all day, so I took the weight out. Any thoughts? thanks for your help

17. Al Santoro says:

BTW, my ping i20 3 wood has the project x 6.0 shaft in it. The driver has the standard Ping TFC shaft in stiff. Do you think it would benefit me to try the 6.0 in the driver as well? thanks

Al,

The counterweight will come into play if you are not hitting your current club well – especially one that you may push, fade or slice. Personally I would leave the driver alone unless you simply liked the feel of the 3 wood better and wanted to use the same shaft in the driver. If so, you may still need to experiment with backweighting if the ball flight wasn’t as straight as the stock TFC shaft.

19. Al Santoro says:

The results…I took the weight out of the driver, reinstalled the grip and am back to hitting the driver well. The counterweight worked very well for the 3 wood.. Thanks for your suggestions..they worked well.

20. Al Santoro says:

Hi Jeff, here are the alterations I made. Ping i20 8.5driver. Project x 5.5 shaft. Cut 3/4″ off of tip, and added 1″ to butt end. Swing weight at 46′ is D-0. hitting hit long, for me. High trajectory , but not as high as before tip trimming it. I also have 20 gram weight in the butt end. The 3 wood, i20 14 degree has a project x 6.0 shaft. with 20 gm counterweight. It is 42.5 ” in length and it is C-3 swing weight. Any thoughts?

Al,

By tip trimming, you removed the flexible part of the shaft responsible for the added trajectory component. This is probably better for you if you are playing in a lot wind. But as long as you are getting the added distance without sacrificing accuracy, it sounds as if you have a winner. The only thing to try is possibly choking down 1/2″ and 1″ and hitting balls to see if there is any improvement or not to come closer to matching the proportionality of the 3-wood.

22. Al Santoro says:

Will do. Thanks, Jeff Dude.. 3:39am!!!!

Al,

It defaults to Pacific Time, so don’t worry, I got a little more sleep than that.

24. Ray Ashman says:

Does the 5.0 black driver shaft have a 335 or a 350 tip ?

Ray,

They have a 0.335″ tip diameter.

26. Foz says:

Hi Jeff, I liked the Grey PX 5.0 in the Cally FTiz, so I got another PX from ebay and had it put into my Powerbilt AFO WMD driver. The Powerbilt head was .335 and the shaft was .350 so the fitter had to drill out the head a bit for the fit. He said that it may snap as he has seen that happen before. I told him that my SS was no that fast (87-95 mph) and to go ahead with the drilling. WOW! That PX shaft in the Powerbilt really made a difference from the stock Apollo. Have used it for 6 months with no issues.