Counter-balance plugs can help solve many swing problems

One of the newest supplies Hireko now offers for clubmakers and club fitters is our stainless steel counter weights. These are handy items that no shop should be without to properly swingweight and counter-balance over length drivers, longer-than-average steel shafted irons or even putters.

butt_plug_diagramMost individuals understand the importance the overall balance of a golf club to produce more solidness of contact, consistency, speed and greater distance. If a golfer has a club that is overall too head heavy it makes it nearly impossible to return the club to a square position at impact. In addition, the head heavy club may encourage a player to release the club too early in the downswing and rob that player of valuable distance. In some cases, a club that is overall too light can promote over active hands and inhibit the golfer from maintaining the proper rhythm and tempo.

Counter-balance plugs can help solve these problems by shifting the balance point of the club closer to the hands. Think of it the same way as a figure skater counter-weights-001pulls their arm in toward their body making them spin faster. Hireko’s new counter weights essentially have the same benefit.

Counter-balancing clubs is not new. Tour professionals have it done to fine tune the clubs. Professional clubmakers have been using elaborate systems to fit their customers. Now an easy and affordable system of weights is now available to possibly help those who slice the ball or just need added consistency.

counter-weights-004These are easily inserted into the butt end of the shaft prior to installing the grip. Now one can fine-tune your clubs with our counter weights now available for both steel and graphite shafts. The models for steel will fit shafts with a 0.600” butt or larger. Each 4g grams of weight will reduce the swingweight by one point.

Plug        Swingweight
Weight    Reduction
8g             2
12g          3
16g          4
20g          5
24g          6
28g          7
32g          8

For years, Dynacraft successfully sold a one ounce (28g) butt weight especially for golfers who wanted an extra long driver for increase length off the tee, yet wouldn’t be head heavy. With a greater assortment of weights to choose from for both steel and graphite shafts, clubmakers and fitters now have greater latitude of providing the right amount and weight to their customer’s clubs.

Counterweights $1.50 each

Disclaimer: Trying to force a counter weight plug into a shaft that has an inside diameter smaller than 0.485” (graphite) or 0.550” (steel) could split the shaft and void any shaft warranty.

20 Comments on Introducing Counter Weights for Clubmakers and Clubfitters

1. Gary says:

I have tried Tour Lock weights (had trouble with them staying tight in some shafts) Shaft Butt Inserts used with Tugsten/Lead powder (works ok just time consuming/messy) So I can’t wait to try these out.Looks like a great idea. When will these be available?

Gary:

They should be here around the 15th of this month. The nice thing about these is if there is a loose fit, especially on some graphite models that have slightly larger diameters or extremely thin walls, is wrap making tape over the butt end and inside the shaft opening and it will take up the slack.

3. Gary Johnson says:

Epoxy the weights in or not?

I would suggest it to prevent any potential vibration.

5. FairwayJack says:

Is there a standard or target for the balance point? I just measured a few of my clubs and the balance point is situated at 25 to 28% of shaft length measuring from leading edge to balance point. Are my clubs on the head heavy side ?? Thx, Jack

6. I see what looks like a through-hole in the picture. Does it go all the way through?

More to the point, what is its diameter? I use a compressor to blow grips on and off, and need room for the compressor nozzle.

Thanks,
    DaveT

Fairway Jack:

Each club in the set will have a different balance point as the length, head weights and even shaft weights change. Plus any variation in swingweight can affect the balance point position. The shaft weight is also a factor with a lighter shaft often making the balance point occur lower (closer to the head) than the same set up with a heavier shaft.

Dave:

The hole does go all the way through the counter weight. The opening is @ 2.5mm (0.1″).

9. Mark says:

Sure could use a primer on swingweight strategies — any way to do it well without special equipment?

10. FairwayJack says:

Thx Jeff, is there a target balance point location I should strive for….something like just below center of shaft (based on your diagram above)? Jack

Fairway Jack:

No one can accurately answer that question. This is one time you have to experiment with different set ups and take good notes. Any weight place at the butt end will shift the CG toward your hands. The more weight, the greater affect it will have.

12. Ron Forrest says:

I’m at present trying the tour counter weights is tried it in my putter 100gram totally adjustable from 12′ to 1″ makes quite a difference puts more feel back in the hands . Next tried the driver I’m defiantly hitting it straighter know have done every club in my bag . Just built a new set of irons ( caiman) seem to finally hitting them straighter & further than ever before . So my feeling is why not try things your only down here one time & it’s not that expensive you can always pull them out ! Golf Marshal 2000

13. Berge Goshgarian says:

Hi Jeff: Will Hireko offer counterweights that will fit into the back hole of a grip? They would make it a lot easier to fine tune a club for counterweight instead of continually removing the grip to change the counterweight. I noticed some of your competitors have similar counterweights. Berge

Berge:

If we had enough requests from our customers we would…

15. Dr.Richard Gardner says:

I need your help concerning proper ordering info of the shaft balancing insert for drivers. I want to order the kit, but need proper information, as I can not seem to locate it. Can you help me.? My computor will not handle downloading all the catalog and I want to obtain kit quickly, as I will be leaving for a 6 to 7 week trip soon and want to take this with me….Thanks
    Doc

Doc:

We don’t have a kit per se, but here is the link to the product page for the counterweights.

Each 4g of weight will reduce the swingweight by 1 point and you can order only what you need or want.

17. Bill Lucas says:

I finally sort of figured this game out a little. I used a very tight golf grip and could hit the ball a ton, however, age caught up with me and I had to loosen my grip and hold the club like I am holding my grand child. The ball goes further and mostly in the fairway. It has also been recommended that I use your counter weight plugs which might help me with distance and accuracy. At 65 I still hit the ball around 275. Do you think the counter weight plugs will help? I plan to try them on one of my old sets.

Bill:

Counter-weighting is unlike most other changes that can be made to a golf club and cannot be predicted. If you suffer from inaccuracy, I have seen cases where counter-weighting can make a tremendous difference then in other cases you see no difference at all (at least with smaller amounts of weight). The best is to try it on a single club and experiment with how much weight to use.

19. Ed says:

Counter weight is rattling inside the butt end of a graphite shaft. I did not tape or glue the weight before putting the grip on the club. Is there a way to secure the weight without ruining the grip? I have read about using a syringe and some type of glue that would need to be very viscous to go through a syringe. The counter weight is 20 grams bought from Hireko. Any advice?

Ed

Ed,

You can use this tool to remove most grips: http://www.hirekogolf.com/dyna.....mover.html

As far as the weights, they should be epoxied in place (at least steel shafts). With graphite shafts you can add masking tape on the stem so that the weight is a snug fit and will not rattle once installed inside the shaft. This way it could be removed without using heat if necessary.