Measuring Club Length the Easy Way – Hireko’s Ruler Buddy

Free Tool Will Help You Accurately Measure The Length Of Your Clubs

One of the most confusing things for those new to clubmaking or even the end consumer is how to accurately measure the length of a club, especially if all they have is a 48 ruler.

Part of my job is answer technical questions from customers for which I have done for many years now. Over these years I have had all sorts of customers try to explain to me the length of their clubs. Some use the back edge of the heel as reference. Some have used the top of the ferrule, while others reference the top of the hosel. Any way you can imagine that club length could be potentially measured, I have heard it. So the first thing one need to understand is how club length is actually measured.

The method most often used involves placing the club in the playing position with the center of the sole touching the ground. Then a 48” rule is placed along the backside of the club with the tip of the rule touching the ground by the club’s heel. The final length is measured at the edge of the grip cap (and not the very top). This method is used in all cases except putters that the shaft is not located at the heel.

The biggest problem with measuring with a 48” ruler is getting the ruler positioned correctly to get an accurate measurement. Depending on how high or low you position the ruler you could easily be off ¼” either way (or more). You are probably saying, wouldn’t it be great if I had an extra pair of hands to measure the length of a club accurately with your 48” ruler? Well finally the simple solution from Hireko Golf – the Ruler Buddy.

DOWNLOAD A FREE COPY OF RULER BUDDY HERE!
To Print:
1. RIGHT CLICK on the above click and save to your computer
2. Open the file and print at 100% to your printer

Just print the PDF file off of your printer. Then tape the piece of paper at the dotted line 48” from the floor or above a table or the surface of your workbench. To find the correct length, follow the next 4 steps.

Step 1: Find the lie angle of the club from the manufacturer. Most manufacturers will post this information on their internet site or in their catalog. There is always a possible tolerance of +/- 1º, but that will have a negligible impact on obtaining the proper length.

Step 2: Lean the 48” ruler between the two vertical lines with the edge of the ruler against the corresponding lie angle. This will position the ruler at an angle from the surface to the chart. Make sure the 0” mark is placed on the floor or ground level.

Step 3: Place the club against the ruler with the shaft resting along the ruler. This is especially import when measuring the length of a putter as the shaft is not attached at the heel like all the other clubs in the set.

Step 4: Read the length of the club from the 48” ruler. Use the edge of the grip cap as your reference point. It is also great for marking the shaft too for final club length.

It is also great for marking the shaft for final club length too.

DOWNLOAD A FREE COPY OF RULER BUDDY HERE!
To Print:
1. RIGHT CLICK on the above click and save to your computer
2. Open the file and print at 100% to your printer

If it prints correctly the distance from the dotted line to the 65 degree line will be exactly 4.5″.

1. Very clever tool, Jeff. I hope folks can figure out how to use it without pictures. It took me a bit of thinking before I got it.

You are right that the lie angle is not very critical. I figure that, if you just use 59 or 60 degrees for every club, the length will be within 3/16″ of correct. In fact, I built a club ruler for myself out of a 48″ ruler and a fixed 60* aluminum angle, and it has served me very well over the years.

DaveT

Good idea, I think I am going to add a few more pictures or maybe a short video to show how to use it correctly.

3. Randall says:

After I printed then measured the distance from the dotted line to the 65 degree line I get 4-7/32″. I set header and footer to 0.0 and scaled to 125% but no changes. All three prints are exactly the same (I guess that’s the good news), how do I change my settings so that the distance is 4.5″

Randall:

I am no printer expert – I am still unclear why all printers default settings can’t print the same exact size or actual size. Email me at jsummitt@hirekogolf.com and maybe I can send you a jpeg.

5. David Braham says:

Very interesting tool! Many players simply do not realize how important club length is to their performance on the course. Thanks for posting this free resource.

6. Dave says:

RE: printer settings for PDFs:

1 . From the PDF reader, select File > Print. In other words DON’T use the Printer button icon.

2. In the Print popup window set Page Handling > Page Scaling to NONE. The default is probably set to “Fit to Printable Area” (or Page).

Your printout will now be to scale.

Hope this helps,
    Dave

7. Jack Conner says:

Before reading these suggestions, I had already constructed a cheap alternative to the more traditional approach which may be of interest to members. Using a $7 48” aluminum ruler from Home Depot, I attached an upside-down $5 gate hinge to its end. The adjustable hinge works to position the clubhead in its proper address angle/lie thereby allowing for easy measurements on the grip end. When mounting just be sure the ‘pin’ side of the hinge is facing down and away from the ruler’s measurement side. It is also helpful to place the attachment screws away from the center line, thereby avoiding any obstruction of the clubhead’s hosel. Great ideas all around. Love your site.

Jack

8. Rick says:

Hi Jeff,

Just watching the Hireko YouTube posts.

This is fantastic, My boys and I love to tinker with our clubs, but not enough to justify purchasing a professional level tool.

Thank you.

9. Don Smelser says:

It seems to me there is a (small) error in this technique. I am a retired engineer, not a mathematician, but I think your method reads too short by about half of the thickness of the ruler. For a 60 degree lie and a 1/4 inch thick ruler, this method gives a length too short by 1/8 inch. Check with a good high school trig student.

Don:

The aluminum rulers are generally 1/8″ thick, so any deviation is nominal. Measuring freehand with the ruler causes far more error.

11. tony p says:

My clubs are bent upright about 1 degree, so my pitching wedge is 65.5. Where would I measure from for that club, the 65 line?

Tony:

Place the edge of the ruler half way between the 65 and 66 degree lines.

13. tony says:

Thanks. I was looking for a way to measure clubs correctly, and this does that. Awesome idea.

14. William T. Fenster says:

Are you serious? All of this effort so you can use an inappropriate measuring implement instead of a tape measure? Retarded.

People who come here are looking for information on how club length is measured, as in FROM WHERE TO WHERE? Do you measure only the shaft, or the whole thing?

William:

The length is measured from the ground line up and along the backside of the shaft to the edge of the grip cap. If you want to see one of the many articles on measuring club length, please go to this link: http://blog.hirekogolf.com/2007/10/how-is-the-length-of-a-golf-club-measured-part-i-of-ii/

The purpose of the Ruler Buddy was to provide a template to measure more accurately. A tape measure will have some flex or bend and won’t be as accurate as a sturdy 48″ ruler.