Golf Club Maintenance Quiz

Test Your Golf Club Maintenance Skills!
1. Irons and wedges with clean grooves will produce more spin than if they are caked full of mud, dirt or grass.

True

False

2. To clean your clubheads from build up of dirt in the grooves allow them to soak in a bucket or tub of soapy water.
True
False

3. To clean your grips, allow them to soak in a bucket or tub of soapy water.
True
False

4. Stainless steel clubs and chrome plated shafts can and will rust.
True
False

5. Grips should be replaced when they are worn, cracked or slippery.
True
False

6. A loose ferrule with require the shaft to be removed from the head in order to repair.
True
False

7. It is alright to store your clubs in the trunk of your car as the extreme heat or cold will not affect performance.
True
False

8. Real golfers will only use head covers for drivers and fairway woods only.
True
False

9. Putting baby oil or Vaseline on the face of a carbon steel wedge or putter will prevent it from rusting.
True
False

10. Spraying a sticky substance on a grip to make it tackier is against the Rules of Golf.
True
False

1. bill says:

Q7 try it in the extreme heat and you might watch some heads fly. the temps inside the trunk of a car can reach 200+ degrees which is about when club epoxies start to break down

2. Chance says:

Question 4 says can and WILL rust. Stainless steal heads can rust, but it does not mean they will.

I have a set of old stainless steal callaways. I am very meticulous about cleaning my clubs, these haven’t been used for a while but still no rust.

Bill:

This is one of the reason why we have continued to use the same epoxy for over 20 years as the breakdown temperature is closer to 300 degrees and far above the temperatures I have ever heard of in a car trunk.

Chance:

The main point was to let people aware that under the right conditions, rusting can occur. But is sounds like you have done a good job keeping them clean and in an environment that will keep them that way.

5. Bruce Gibbons. says:

Question seven was the only one I got wrong, not for epoxy breakdown, but for possible warping of graphite shafts. I have a large collection of clubmakeing books, can’t recall where I read about this. My books go back many years, is it that graphite technology has improved ?.

6. Bruce says:

I know that I did not get any wrong but I would still like to be able to see it. the next button has a problem